[DFSci] Reverse Engineering Survey

Baggili, Ibrahim IBaggili at newhaven.edu
Tue Mar 31 09:47:13 PDT 2020

All, during this pandemic, you may be sitting at home, or working from home, but we would appreciate if you can help us in the survey my student is conducting. Please see a message from my student below. It would be great if you have reverse engineering experience if you can take the survey.

Stay Safe,

Greetings,

My name is Ilya Shavrov and I am an undergraduate at the University of New Haven studying Cybersecurity and Networks. I am working with my advisor Dr. Ibrahim (Abe) Baggili to conduct a reverse engineering needs analysis survey. We are attempting to collect information on the current state of reverse engineering and how individuals learn how to reverse engineer software. This survey has been accepted for Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval and is under exemption 45 CFR 46.104(b)(2). There are two main reasons why we are conducting this survey and ask that you fill out the survey:

  1.  Trying to learn reverse engineering sucks! Reverse engineering is a very difficult subject to understand. In addition to the lack of resources tailored to new individuals, the learning curve becomes very difficult for newcomers to enter the field. The idea is that the results of this survey can be used to develop lessons, courses, and educational material based on the feedback of the reverse engineering community.
  2.  we believe that there is a shortage of qualified people who can do software reverse engineering. This shortage poses a great security risk in national security and the private sector. It is imperative that we decrease this perceived gap to ensure that we can address current and future challenges that we will face.

Link to the Survey:
https://newhavencas.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_24U3gnzjcbkLxTn

If you have any questions about this survey, please feel free to email us!
Ilya Shavrov | ishav1 at unh.newhaven.edu<mailto:ishav1 at unh.newhaven.edu>
Ibrahim (Abe) Baggili | ibaggili at newhaven.edu<mailto:ibaggili at newhaven.edu>

ILYA SHAVROV
Bachelor of Science, Cybersecurity and Networks
University of New Haven

Ibrahim (Abe) Baggili PhD
Elder Family Endowed Chair,
Assistant Dean,
Executive Director & Founder, Cyber Forensics Research and Education Group (cFREG)
CyberCorps Scholarship For Service® PI
NSA Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Operations (CAE-CO) Lead

University of New Haven,
Tagliatela College of Engineering
300 Boston Post Rd, West Haven, CT 06516
+1-203-932-7198 E-mail: ibaggili at newhaven.edu<mailto:ibaggili at newhaven.edu>
Web: UNHcFREG<http://www.unhcfreg.com/> Personal Website <http://www.baggili.com/> Google Scholar<http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=cskwIy8AAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE :: This email message and any documents, files, or previous e-mail messages attached to it is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.