[DFSci] Feedback on the definition of IoT Forensics

Brunty, Josh josh.brunty at marshall.edu
Thu Mar 21 15:14:49 PDT 2019

Hi Tina,

The definition is a solid beginning. I would, however, recommend a renaming embedded devices to "embedded systems" as it is extends into and covers the traditional embedded devices, but also extends into embedded software architectures such micro/monolithic/exo- kernels (i.e. Embedded Linux/Windows CE), and other specialty systems such as CAN bus and OBD-II systems (used in the auto industry).  A small tweak, but it casts a bigger net nonetheless.

I would also recommend that a definition of IoT Forensics explicitly say "Internet of Things" somewhere in there as not to create any confusion/diversion on what the IoT acronym is.  I would hope that everyone knows what IoT means in this day and age, but there is always that one person in the room...

I know this response was to go directly to you, but for the sake of transparency I'd like to see my colleagues expand upon my thinking here.

Thanks,
Josh Brunty
josh.brunty at marshall.edu