[DFSci] Knowledge sharing

Joe Sylve joe.sylve at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 17:53:36 PDT 2019

It is my understanding that the University of California has terminated its
contract with Elsevier and currently will not license any of its journals.
In addition, they are encouraging their faculty and researchers to publish
open access.  This is in response to (perceived or actual) predatory
practices in the academic publishing industry.

Here's the initial call to action from last June:

https://libraries.universityofcalifornia.edu/groups/files/slasiac/docs/NegotiatingJournalAgreementsAtUC_ACallToAction_final.pdf

And here's the statement from the end if February when they made their
decision:

https://senate.universityofcalifornia.edu/_files/reports/academic-council-statement-elsevier-feb28.pdf

Some additional links:

https://osc.universityofcalifornia.edu/open-access-at-uc/publisher-negotiations/uc-and-elsevier/