[DFSci] Fwd: SWGDE NewsBytes - Special Announcement - Call for Comments on Accreditation in DME

Baker, Dave bakerd at mitre.org
Tue Mar 15 04:13:44 PDT 2016

I was asked to post this extract from the SWGDE Newsbytes.

SWGDE NewsBytes
Special Announcement - National Commission on Forensic Science
Call for Comment on Accreditation in DME

>> From The Chair/Editor:

	The Accreditation and Proficiency Testing Subcommittee (A&PT) of the National Commission on Forensic Science (NCFS) has published a "Draft Recommendation to the Attorney General for the Accreditation of Digital and Multimedia Forensic Science Service Providers"  which is available for PUBLIC COMMENT!!!   I strongly - let me stress that, STRONGLY - urge all those with an interest in this topic to please go download the document, read it and COMMENT!!!  The A&PT Subcommittee will be meeting on March 23rd to further discuss this matter, get feedback from various subject matter experts (of which I am one), and review any submitted comments that have been received by that time.  You can access the document for download here:

	http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;D=DOJ-LA-2016-0002

	This is the same link you will use to provide comments. If I recall it's not the friendliest of processes and due to the Commission being a FACA, all comments become public as far as I'm aware.  Note that the deadline for comments is April 5th, but as I stated, the Subcommittee with SME input will be discussing any received at a March 23rd meeting.  Please, PLEASE submit all comments by then.  (A side note that the NCFS as a whole will be holding their meeting the two days prior, March 21 and 22. For more information on that look here under the section for Meeting Nine: https://www.justice.gov/ncfs/term-2-meetings-8-15.)

	I am late in getting a current NewsBytes article completed, but we had some pretty in-depth discussions at the last SWGDE meeting (January) over this very topic.  I would hope that all those interested parties that spoke up at that time understand that now is REALLY the time to speak up.  The Commission is where all mandates will ultimately progress from, so let your voices be heard!

	Thanks for your attention.  Hopefully the regular NewsBytes will be out in the next week or so.