[DFSci] Naval Postgraduate School - Postdoctoral Positions - Arlington VA and Monterey, CA

Simson Garfinkel (CIV) slgarfin at nps.edu
Sat Dec 18 12:28:30 PST 2010

Naval Postgraduate School
Postdoctoral Positions - Arlington VA and Monterey, CA

Applications are invited for one of two postdoctoral positions in Digital Forensics in Arlington VA or Monterey CA.

Digital Forensics is a new interdisciplinary area that draws upon machine learning, systems engineering, natural language processing, high performance computing, and human-computer interaction (HCI). NPS is a recognized leader in the area with a growing research portfolio, one of the largest academic collections of forensic data on the planet, and close ties to forensic practitioners in law enforcement, the military, and overseas.

Responsibilities will include:

  * Research novel computer forensics algorithms designed to work with large (>10TB) data sets.

  * Write reports and research papers.

  * Develop and release production-quality open source computer forensics software.

  * Assist in the maintenance of our forensics corpus.

Required: PhD in Computer Science or a related field; demonstrated expertise in performing research in Computer Forensics, Security Engineering, Storage, Data Mining, Information Retrieval, Machine Learning, or a related field; published journal or conference papers in the above areas.

Our new "NPS East" location in Arlington, VA, is a small office housed within a larger academic research center just a few blocks from the Ballston Metro Station. This office will initially house 4 tenure-track faculty members and a small group of postdocs, but will expand to supervising PhD and certificate students drawn from the Federal workforce in the coming years.

Our Monterey location is on the coast in Central California, a scenic, uncongested Pacific coast city one hour's drive south of Silicon Valley.

Applicants may apply to work in either Arlington or Monterey.

NPS is the US Navy's research university. We are an all graduate program (MS and PhD).  Our 1500 students, mostly US and allied international military and federal civilians, are exceptionally smart, disciplined, and dedicated.  We have rich research opportunities in the national security domain. Our faculty spend about half their time teaching graduate classes and supervising MS and PhD theses, and the other half conducting cutting-edge scientific research. The NPS has a very strong research portfolio, averaging over $500K per tenure-track faculty member annually.

We invite you to apply for our two postdoctoral positions. Candidates must hold a PhD in Computer Science or a closely related field.   Candidates must be US citizens and be able to obtain a SECRET security clearance; non-US residents will not be considered.

For additional information or to apply please send email to both Simson Garfinkel and Joel Young at slgarfin at nps.edu and jdyoung at nps.edu.  A complete application will include the following:

	1. A full curriculum vitae

	2. A two-page statement summarizing your research experience (and related projects)

	3. The names and addresses (including phone number and emails) of at least three references.

The Naval Postgraduate School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.